Sunday, October 01, 2006

Auckland Tour

Ok OK, so I promised you this guide of Auckland a LONG time ago. I get it. I know. But hey, I'm entitled to have a busy summer too, right?

So here it is.

I would have to say that I consider myself a connoisseur of pubs. Which basically means, I like to hang out and drink in them. However, i have been in them enough to know what I do and don't like. You will find a bit of both in this guide.

The first day I was in Auckland, after 21 hours of nothing but cramped seats and airline food, the first thing i wanted after a shower and a nap, was some good food, and a nice frosty beer. My first stop was:

The Park Brasserie and Bar
446 Khyber Rd.
Newmarket, Auckland City
(09) 522-0414

It was a comfortable atmosphere. Certainly not pub like, but more contemporary. Light pine colored laminate flooring, matching wood table and chairs, and a fireplace, if I remember correctly. I quickly discovered that Canadian beer was going to be very difficult to find in New Zealand. This surprised me very much. After all, what else are Canadians known for besides hockey and beer?

So I chose a local beer. I started out drinking a local brew called Speight's. (www.speights.co.nz) This is a very popular beer in New Zealand, and has been brewed there since the 1800s. I didn't mind this one, but oddly enough, i found it to be better from the tap than in the bottle.

The Park Brasserie had decent food. Admittedly, if you are going to eat the usual pub fare in NZ, such as burgers, be prepared. While it tastes alright, the beef does tend to be a bit more bland than what we are used to here in Alberta. And, seemingly to compensate for this, almost every place that served beef burgers, slathered it in various types of sauces. However, I recommend not mentioning this to the locals. They are very proud of their beef industry.

My experience at The Park was alright once i figured out that table service was not a standard there. They seem to have it on occasion, depending on how many people are working there at the time. HOWEVER: TOURISTS BEWARE this was the only pub i discovered that seems to try and take advantage of tourists. There is a very unpleasant European woman that works there with dyed red hair. She clearly new I was a tourist, as I had my Canadiana gear on, and she charged me DOUBLE what her coworkers did (for the same product) when I went back in subsequent visits.

While the overall food, and ambiance was OK, if you find another pub that you like, then skip this one.

Another pub that I tried was:
The Cock and Bull (Newmarket)
Khyber Pass near Broadway
Newmarket, Auckland City



This particular bar intrigued me, as they had a flashing LED sign outside that said 'Buxom Blondes Inside'. Naturally, I had to see for myself. Talk about misleading. The bartenders, while nice looking, were certainly not Buxom. And most of them were not even blonde! But, the Cock and Bull is a chain of pubs in NZ. Similar to our Brewsters here in Canada, they brew their own beer. One of which is called.... You guessed it! Buxom Blonde.

My overall experience here was good. Again, no table service, but the staff is friendly, the atmosphere is very nice. A bit classier than your traditional pub, rich dark wood and brown tones dominate the building. And the often have live entertainment. You can view the band schedule at www.cockandbull.co.nz I personally did not enjoy the beer that they brew personally, but you can get Speight's in the bottle here.

The next stop on my tour was:
SPE
Located on K-Road, just off (Simmond's Street I think)



I really enjoyed this stop. I visited this place several times, and it always seemed to be fairly busy. Again with the light pine decor, with a large bar in the centre of the floor. This place definitely looked more like a pub than the Park Brasserie. And, you can get the beer I preferred on tap: Mac's Gold (www.Macs.co.nz) Also, the prices here were the best by far. $4 /pint. (or approx. $2.80 Canadian). This was a definite improvement over the $16 that I had paid at the Park Brasserie.

The one oddity I found here was the huge American flag hanging over the bar. All of the patrons and staff that I had met were locals. So I am not sure where the American thing fit in. But, if you can get over that, then it is a good stop.

The next stop was on the Viaduct. I had initially wanted to go to a bar here called The Loaded Hog, but it always appeared to be closed whenever I was in this area. So by default I tried:
O'Hagan's Irish Bar
Market Square
Corner of Market Place and Customs Street
Auckland City

O'Hagan's (www.ohagans.co.nz) seems to be busy much of the time. The pub is nice, but I recommend the Patio if it is nice enough out. There is always a lot of activity in the square, and it overlooks the marina. I found the pricing to be a little on the high end for food, but the booze prices were middle of the range. The food is good, but there is a myriad of choices in this area if you don't like Irish food.

The next pub I tried was by far the one I liked the best.
The Penny Black
489 Khyber Pass Rd.
Auckland City
(09) 529-0050

The Penny Black has a much more modern feel to it. And, has a tendency to be a bit cold in the winter. But the beer is a reasonable price, and Mac's Gold is on tap. The real seller here is the staff. They are friendly, and know a lot about Canada and Canadians (In fact, I think there is a Canadian working in the Kitchen). The food is good, but a bit on the higher price side. Also, if you like gambling, there is a sizable gaming room in the back.

Finally, the last place I will mention is:
Verve Cafe
311 Parnell Rd.
Parnell, Auckland City



Verve is not really so much a pub as it is a (duh!) cafe. But, I felt it deserved to be listed here, as it was one of my favorite places to visit. I had breakfast here more often than not, and I recommend getting the Eggs Benedict and a cup or two of flat white. This place is ALWAYS busy, but if you get there around 9 or so, you should be able to get a table. The patio is the real gem at this place, as it is large, always in the morning sun, and is warm, even in the winter, partially because of how it is covered. The staff is great, and there IS table service! Simply a great place, and nothing to complain about. One warning: plan on $45 for breakfast for two.

So I hope this helps any of you folks out there planning to visit Auckland. Take my advice or don't, but just make sure you enjoy yourself when you are there.

Peace
Rainn


No comments:

Post a Comment