Sunday, October 01, 2006

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

SASKATOON SUNSET

RAIL BRIDGE

A PILLAR'S PERSPECTIVE



So yes. I did in fact venture out to Saskatchewan this year. I am sure at this point, they are happy to see ANY tourist these days. Hehehe Just kidding. (I am going to alienate some of my own readers if I keep poking fun at Saskatchewan.)

I did enjoy my visit to Saskatoon. I was there at the end of July, and, as always in the summer, the weather was warm and sunny. There were constantly people out on the river boating and jet skiing. There were a few festivals to take in that weekend, as the dragon boat races were going on.

One word of advice: If you are going to be taking in the sun on a rooftop patio in Saskatoon in the summer... WEAR SUNSCREEN. Granted my visit to the patio was impromptu, but I certainly paid for it the weeks following. The entire left side of my body was burnt to a crisp. It hurt to sleep on my side, and the pain would wake me up in the middle of the night. I peeled at least 2 or 3 times before I returned to my natural pigment. So. Lesson learned.


THE DELTA BESBOUROUGH

Contrary to popular opinion, Saskatoon is actually a beautiful city. Especially if you enjoy the outdoors. The river valley is beautiful, and the wildlife is also unique. If you enjoy architecture, I recommend staying at the Delta Besbourough. This hotel was built shortly after the Banff Springs and the Jasper Park Lodge. It is beautiful, and they have great pictures depicting the history of the construction mounted throughout the building. Though in typical fashion for hotels of that time period, the rooms themselves are small and modest. You may wish to stay at the more modern and affordable Radisson Hotel just down the block, and maybe stop in at the Delta Besbourough for a light meal or cocktail.

HUNGRY PELICANS

Another area to check out along the river is the Weir. This area changes the water level of the river. But pelicans love it for the easy fishing. You can often catch them hanging around splashing along the edges of the Weir getting the fill of fish. These are a rarity, and not often spotted in urban areas in Canada.

I encourage anyone traveling to Western Canada in the summer time to make a short stop in Saskatoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment